A Brief Pause

making time to experience everything life offers

A Brief Pause - making time to experience everything life offers

Dear Me – A Message to My Younger Self

Business woman reading letter
If I could go back in time, I’d tell my much younger self, as I began my journey through single parenthood, that it’s going to be okay.

Dear Me,

I know you are frightened about all the the responsibilities laid on your shoulders. It’s okay. You’ll be fine. You care about getting every detail right, including the small ones that really don’t matter so much. Take a breath and know that you are good enough, strong enough and committed enough to make it through the tough times.

Show your love to the people that matter most and be willing to accept love. Make sure your son knows how much you love him. And, ask for help. People are willing to share the load. You don’t have to do everything yourself. It’s not a sign of weakness, but one of strength, allowing you to focus on the most important things.

Take care of yourself. Keep exercising. Your fitness will help you stay strong and confident.

You are a good person and all of your efforts will pay off. So, relax and enjoy the ride. It’s going to be exciting, challenging and lots of fun.

Love,

Your Future Self

Knowing what you know now, it there any message you’d love to send to your younger self?

Category: Thoughts
  • Janine Huldie says:

Totally loved your letter and will say sounds similar to what I had to share in a letter to my younger self, especially the relax part :)

April 11, 2014 at 5:51 am
  • jasteck says:

I wish I would have relaxed more, Janine. I was so hard on myself. It’s amazing I didn’t keel over from the stress.

April 11, 2014 at 5:58 am
  • Piper George says:

Love this – we worry about so much of the little details as parents, but when they are older it’s only the big things they remember. xx

April 11, 2014 at 6:02 am
  • jasteck says:

It’s only the big things I remember too, Piper. It was a struggle, but we survived stronger than ever.

April 11, 2014 at 6:09 am
  • Wendy says:

For me, my life has been an interesting journey. I never would have known back in my younger years about the strength that God gave me inside. This strength allowed me to endure the pain of watching my mother and my husband both take their last breath on earth as I stood by their sides holding their hands. Then to have the WILL to go on with my life and be blessed by every day that God has given me. The letter to my self has changed through the years.

My letter now says:

Dearest ME
    Be happy for who you are and what you still have yet to be!

Tell your Sisters how much you love them!

Take the time to share a smile or offer a hug – EVERYDAY!

Stop and smell the roses!

Be happy today because you are never promised tomorrow!

Make a difference in the lives of those people whose journey happens to be a part of yours!

NEVER GIVE UP!!!!

April 11, 2014 at 6:16 am
  • Bonnie says:

Recently on Facebook, I challenged my friends to come up with two words they would say to their younger selves. There were many good responses. My answer was “things change.” I thought about my teens and how I felt the barbs of hurt and pain would remain forever. I remembered how I was afraid I’d never find my way out of the stifling fog of my first marriage. I was certain my daughter would never grow out of the terrible two’s. And I was so sure that my step-daughter would never figure out who she was. I was wrong. In spite of my fears, everything changed.

April 11, 2014 at 8:20 am
  • Kristi Campbell says:

I love your letter to you younger, more afraid you, Jennifer. You’re so right that it seems that during the hardest of times, that we rise to the occasion and that looking back offers us peace and wisdom that is impossible to see during the stormy days. You rock, and are definitely way more than enough and always have been. Beautiful post, friend. <3

April 11, 2014 at 10:12 am
  • Jenny @ Express Bus Mama says:

Love this letter. Keep exercising, I like that. It’s such an easy thing to forget to do. I would tell my younger self to be a little bit more aware of others, a little more caring. Also that life isn’t as complicated as we think.

April 11, 2014 at 11:16 am
  • Stephanie @ Mommy, for Real. says:

I love that! And frankly, I’d love to receive a message from “Future Me”, say 20 years down the road, right NOW! :)

April 11, 2014 at 1:41 pm
  • jasteck says:

I love your letter, Wendy. Life is definitely interesting every step of the way and it’s so important to never give up. Love you, too!

April 13, 2014 at 8:53 am
  • jasteck says:

Those are great words, Bonnie. Let’s see…two words…”keep going” We’ve made it through a lot, haven’t we?

April 13, 2014 at 8:56 am
  • jasteck says:

Thanks Kristi. I’m still surprised sometimes at how strong I can be when the going get’s tough. I think my Mom showed me her strength through her actions and it rubbed off. :)

April 13, 2014 at 8:57 am
  • jasteck says:

Beautiful, Jenny. I especially love your message of being more aware of others. We can make such a difference in people’s lives.

April 13, 2014 at 8:59 am
  • jasteck says:

That would be nice, Stephanie. A future me message…I wonder what it would be? :)

April 13, 2014 at 9:00 am
  • Suzanne Fluhr says:

I would tell myself—-“Everything turned out fine.”

April 13, 2014 at 2:52 pm
  • jasteck says:

That message is straight and to the point and would say everything, wouldn’t it, Suzanne. :)

April 14, 2014 at 5:23 am